Steeping is becoming a popular term in the vaping community. The process is especially relevant for vape enthusiasts who would like to prepare DIY vape liquids. Steeping is known to enhance the flavor profile of e-liquids by helping the juice constituents bind better. It enables the essential ingredients to thicken and some extras to vaporize which helps to smoothen the flavors.
Over the years, vapers have seen improvements in the taste and vaping experience while using steeped vape juice. The original steeping process is quite simple but requires a longer duration. Hence some techniques evolved over the past few years to expedite the process. Before diving deep into understanding steeping methods make sure to check liquid store nearby and enjoy the various flavors.
How To Steep E-Juice?
- Place the e-liquid bottle in a cool, dark, dry place.
- Shake the bottle once everyday before placing it for steeping again.
Streathing And Breathing
Breathing is a process commonly confused with steeping. The process helps to soften the effects of alcohol from vape juices from producing an odd taste and a heavy throat hit.
- Remove the cap of the e-liquid to let the bottle sit for a few hours.
- Make sure not to let the juice breathe for more than 12 hours as it could possibly introduce contaminants into the e-liquid.
Streathing is a process that refers to the combination of breathing and steeping your liquid.
- Shake the vape juice bottle and run it under warm tap water.
- Remove the cap and place the bottle in a dark place for about 2 hours.
- Place the cap back on and shake the liquid vigorously.
Heating the bottle helps to thin out the vegetable glycerin that promotes the liquid’s various components to bind better. As the juice reaches room temperature, the viscosity returns, and the flavors feel more pronounced than before.
Fast Ways To Steep E-Juice
While streathing and breathing are effective ways to steep e-liquids, it will take weeks for the e-liquid to be ready for use. There are a few fast steeping processes that can help you achieve the results within a few hours. They include using heat, agitation, or both to speed up the process.
Heating is an effective way of expediting the oxidation process for faster steeping. There are several methods used for utilizing heat to stimulate chemical changes. These include the slow cooker method, hot bath method, rice method, car method, microwave method.
Water Bath Method
- Fill a sink, bathtub, or a bowl with warm water. Make sure the water is not boiling or just at room temperature.
- Place the vape juice bottle in a sealable plastic bag.
- Lower it inside the bath and let it sit till the water reaches room temperature.
- Remove and shake the bottle for a minute without the cap.
- Repeat steps 1-3 till the juice achieves the desired taste.
Slow Cooker Method
- Place the vape juice bottle in a sealable plastic bag. You can add another bag to ensure it is waterproof.
- Fill a slow cooker with water and place it at the lowest temperature setting.
- Place the plastic bag in the cooker and let it sit for about 2 hours.
- Remove and shake the bottle. Place it again in the cooker for about 4 hours.
- Remove and test the juice to check if it needs more time in the cooker.
The only disadvantage of steeping using heat methods is that it tends to reduce the liquid’s lifetime. So make sure not to keep the e-juice for too long before using it.
Tip: Remember to keep the temperature below 90 F at all points to make sure you don’t ruin the liquid.
Agitation aims to stimulate the interaction of components of the liquid physically to blend into a homogenous mixture. It helps the particles to diffuse uniformly and provide a smooth experience.
- Fill the ultrasonic cleaner with water and place it at the lowest heat settings. If your device does not have heat settings, you can directly fill it with warm water.
- Place the e-juice bottle inside the water and hit the cycling button. You can adjust the timing of the cycle as desired.
- Let the e-liquid rest at least 10 minutes before starting a new cycle. Repeat the process until you get the desired result.
You can alternatively use a handheld mixer or magnetic stirrer to provide agitation to accelerate the steeping process.
How Long Is Too Long?
In the case of slow steeping or natural steeping methods, the time required to achieve good results depends upon the flavors and other constituents of the e-liquid. For example, complex and viscous juices require 3-12 weeks of steeping. Fruity and menthol flavors require between 2- 3 weeks, and tobacco flavor tastes best after 3-4 weeks of steeping. A minimum of 2 weeks will darken the color of the e-juice, which is desired.
There are no recommended timings or parameters for fast steeping methods. The numbers can be determined only through trial and error. So make sure to test the taste each time before repeating the process to optimize your steeping.
Steeping is an effective way of enhancing the flavors and texture of an e-liquid. While many store-bought liquids already go through steeping while passing through the supply chain, the process is crucial for homemade e-liquids. In the case of commercial bottles, you can check the time between the manufactured date and the present day to know how long the juice has been steeping. The process might add a magical touch to your e-liquid that could make it smooth and aromatic with the perfect taste to enhance your vaping experience.