Grow Your Brain With Neuroplasticity
As science advances, we put aside old ideas and learn that we are much more than previously thought. At one point in time, it was believed that the brain stopped growing at a young age. This is not only untrue, but we have found that the brain can be re-wired to work in new ways.
People who suffer from brain injuries, depression, or what appears to be a brain that is on the decline now know that they can change how their brain operates.
Let’s discuss ten ways to grow your brain with neuroplasticity exercises and get the most out of life.
1. Studies have shown that many people who pick up a book do not get beyond the first chapter. To grow your brain and create new links from neuron to neuron, you must not only complete your book but also try new types. Reading fiction helps to stimulate your brain.
Not only should you read more fiction, but you should also switch up genres. Instead of always reading detective novels, add in science fiction and Westerns. Science fiction will make your brain work to see new worlds, while Westerns will have you considering what it was like to survive in hostile environments while providing food and shelter for the family.
2. We have been creating artwork for 60,000 plus years. Starting with cave paintings and working our way up to visual displays. Try your hand at doing a creative piece of artwork that makes your brain work to exercise that creative muscle. It can be anything from painting to carving wood.
3. To create new connections in the brain, learn to play an instrument or if you do so already, research and start learning something different like the harp.
4. All new learning is taxing on the body and the brain. Recharge your brain batteries by getting a deep, restful sleep every night. Do some simple meditation, turn on a white noise machine, and let your brain and body heal.
5. Get into moving your body with creative dance. While square dancing is still a good one to learn, creative dance encourages your brain to make new connections, not only in your supercomputer but how your body can move in new directions.
6. Words, words, and more words. Put as many new words as you can per day into your brain and then let your brain play on connecting one new word to another. When we speak of words, we want positive words to help our brains stay out of depression and anxiety. Find as many words as you can for happiness today and start using them.
7. We get stuck on using only our dominant hand to do everything. Yet our other hand is competent if we use it and strengthen it. This is not only great for neuroplasticity, but if you ever suffer an injury to your dominant hand, your other is ready to take its place. Try using your other hand as the main one to pick up food with chopsticks or a fork.
8. Mnemonic devices are specialized training that you do for your brain. You can start visualizing an entire scene that you want to happen, like meeting someone new, going on a first date, and the process up to getting married. Another form is mental imagery, where you create flashcards in your brain. For example, to high jump, you have card one, which is the run-up, card two is the jump and turn in the air. Card three is you clearing the bar. By placing each image on an imaginary card, you flash the sequence, and your brain will work on building the movements you need to do with your body.
9. Changing how you eat can have a positive impact on your brain. Intermittent fasting will decrease your leptin levels, and just like your home thermostat, this sends a signal out. The brain gets the signal, and the neurons start firing up to increase the body’s energy.
10. Any kind of travel will get your brain working in new ways as you navigate a raging rapid or walk through an art gallery in a city. Those who do not get outside will find the brain does not get the exercise it needs, and the brain’s connections will start to atrophy.
Always look for ways to make new neural connections, which would like a massive set of super highways if shown on a map.
Neuroplasticity Books we recommend:
[WooZoneProducts asin=”amz-B00HZS2HM4″][/WooZoneProducts][WooZoneProducts asin=”amz-B07QH7CRRN”][/WooZoneProducts]